Castle Buen Amor

Buen Amor Castle, located in Salamanca, is a castle with centuries of history completely renovated to celebrate elegant and unique weddings.

The need to know:

  • Accommodation: Yes
  • Budget: 90
  • Capacity: 300
Send request


The Castillo de Buen Amor is also known as Castillo Villanueva de Canedo or Fonseca Castle. It was originally a military fortress and the first reports date back to 1227 AD, when Alfonso IX of Leon swap this place, with santiaguista knight Don Enrique de Sardina by the inheritance of Ortazas in Ciudad Rodrigo.

In 1447 it belonged to the Count of Alba de Tormes, in 1476, and being Duke of Alba, delivered the town of Villanueva de Canedo with its castle to the Catholic Monarchs in exchange for that of San Felices Gallegos, as one more episode within the struggles and intrigues capitulations gotten in Castilla during the troubled succession of Enrique IV.

Popular legend called Castle palace as Good Love it to become the property of the Archbishop of Santiago Don Alonso de Fonseca and his mistress Maria de Ulloa. However, recent studies reveal that the architect of the Gothic work was his namesake and last name Don Alonso de Fonseca Jaw, cousin of the Archbishop and Bishop of Cuenca, Avila and Osma (it was purchased in 1477 by Alfonso Valencia, who They had donated the Catholic Monarchs a year earlier in reward for having given you the city of Zamora, during the civil war for succession to the throne of Castile in Isabel La Catolica and Juana la Beltraneja faced). Bishop Fonseca turned the castle into his palace where he lived with his lover also, Dona Teresa de las Cuevas, with whom he had four children: Gutierrez, Fernando, Ana and Isabel. The Gutierrez was born legitimized by the Catholic Monarchs in 1492 beneficiary of primogeniture by decision of Alonso few years before he died.

About the character of Don Alonso Fonseca, founder of the house of Villanueva de Canedo, we know that was a fervent follower of the Catholic Monarchs and army captain who took the town of Toro in 1476 a chain carved in stone on a shield of Bishop, at the entrance of the Castle he reveals that there dwelt King Fernando and also of their political and military concerns was the introducer of Renaissance in the city, as all buildings except those funded by it are built in Flemish Hispanic.

Don Alonso and Dona Teresa were buried around the year 1506, in the monastery of San Ildefonso in the city of Toro, although in different places, lying Bishop in the main chapel and her lover in the other chapel of the same monastery next to Dona Elizabeth Quijada, mother of Don Alonso.

In 1615 Felipe III granted the title of first Count of Villanueva de Canedo Don Antonio de Fonseca and Enriquez and Guzman Freire de Andrade, Knight of the Order of Santiago, direct descendant of the Bishop of Avila.

Heraldic shield with profusion of five stars in saltire, the surname Fonseca, inside and outside the castle, led to some errors in the attribution of personality promoter strength. At first he assured that the castle belonged to Don Alonso de Fonseca Acebedo, archbishop of Santiago and Patriarch of Alexandria, named Fonseca II, but today there is no doubt that the founder was his namesake, Fonseca said Alonso Quijada , son of Pedro and Isabel Fonseca Jaw and cousin Alonso Acebedo Fonseca, known for; Fonseca II, both nephews turn Alonso III Fonseca, archbishop of Santiago and Seville, Fonseca I.

Subsequently, the castle still belongs to the descendants of Fonseca and happens to belong to the Duke of Sixth Earl Grajal and Marquis of Alcañices and his heirs until the early s. XX. Later the town of Villanueva de Canedo disappears, emerging a pasture in the vicinity, and the residents of nearby areas use the stones of the fortress to build their houses.

Weddings and Events

Menu from 90 €

Wedding ceremony from 850 €

El Patio Castle capacity: 160 people

Hall Ulloa capacity:  35 people

Hall Fonseca capacity: 70 people

El Cenador capacity: 300 people


*       Estándar room from 95 €
*       Superior room from 100 €
*       Deluxe room from 120 €
*       Suite Paso de Guardia room from 140 €
*       Suite Medieval room from 150 €
*       Suite Torreón room from 180 €
*       Gran Suite room from 200 €

Rent half the Castle for 1 night (25 rooms): 5000 €

Rent all the Castle for 1 night (40 rooms): 7000 €

Rent all the Castle for weekend (40 rooms): 12000 €


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Ctra. N-630 Km.317,6
Topas 37799 CL ES
Get directions